The second in WAMSI’s seminar series focused on coastal management and the research that supported it. Presentations were given from local governments on operational management, state government on coastal planning, and researchers on the coastal and oceanographic research work that is being done to improve how we can manage coastal development.
It was planned around these topics to give a range of perspectives from both the users of marine science, and from researchers, to help drive better understanding of what is needed and what is being done, and help form relationships between decisions makers and scientists.
The following topics were reviewed:
- Coastal planning and management
- Local management practices, costs, and strategic planning for Rockingham
- Latest oceanographic understanding relevant to coastal impacts in the southwest
- Recent coastal sedimentation and erosion research in Western Australia
- Storm surge and planned improvements in coastal modelling capability